Apply by midnight, June 1st, 2021
Preference will be given to eligible, full-time, post-secondary Canadian resident students studying at Canadian colleges and universities.
Awards Overview: For 2021 there will be three awards:
One award of $2,000
for full-time students entering more advanced years of study (third year and beyond) in any field of study with emphasis on horses, agriculture, agribusiness, animal health technology, or equine veterinary medicine at an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution. Click here for Undergraduate & Graduate Awards
Two awards of $1,000
for full-time students entering first or second year of study at an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution in any field of study with emphasis on horses, agriculture, agri-business, animal health technology or equine veterinary medicine. Click here for Undergraduate Awards
To apply, all students must visit The Calgary Foundation website at either of the blue underlined “Click here” links indicated above.
Help us continue to provide these awards
into the future with a donation to the
Shannon Burwash Memorial Awards for
Equine and Agricultural Studies
April 19, 2021 – (Calgary, AB) — In May of 2014, Dr. Wayne Burwash launched the Shannon Burwash Memorial Awards for Equine and Agricultural Studies at The Calgary Foundation, to honor the legacy of his wife Shannon’s love for the horse and her contribution to the horse industry.
At the time Dr. Burwash offered to match all donations, dollar for dollar, until the fund reached the target goal of $125,000. It was thought that this size of investment should be enough to generate $4000 to $5000 annually to be awarded as scholarships. The Calgary Foundation is very pleased to announce that the goal has been reached and the
fund is generating enough to continue awarding $4000 per year. To date there have been $23,000 in scholarships awarded from this fund.
However, each year the number of very worthy scholarship applications received far exceeds funds available for distribution, and the cost of higher education continues to rise. One of the most impactful ways to address this challenge is funding scholarship awards. Gifts to the scholarship fund are invested, not spent, then they generate an income which is used to award scholarships. Your support is an investment in the future of our horse industry as deserving students develop into the leaders of tomorrow.
- Online: Visit https://payment.csfm.com/donations/calgaryfoundation/, choose the green button “Donate to an Existing Fund”, in the search box above the dropdown box of fund names, type “Shannon Burwash” to select the appropriate fund, then complete the payment fields and enter your VISA or MasterCard information.
- By Phone: To pay by credit card over the phone, call 403-802-7700 during office hours 8:00 am – 4:00 pm MDT. Please do NOT leave your credit card number on voicemail.
- In Person: The Calgary Foundation, #1180, 105 12 Avenue SE, Calgary during office hours.
- By Mail: Cheque payable to The Calgary Foundation, indicating “Shannon Burwash Memorial Award” in the memo section. Mail to:
The Calgary Foundation, #1180, 105 12 Avenue SE, Calgary, AB T2G 1A1
- Tax Receipts for Donations: A Canadian tax receipt will be issued for donations over $25
For more information, contact Ms. Darlene Chrapko, Director, Awards & Scholarships, at The Calgary Foundation at T: 403-802-7711 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information contact:
Name: Marnie Somers,
Title: Chair, CQHA Burwash Scholarship Committee
Phone: 204-834-2479 | Cell: 204-476-0483
Email address: email@example.com