March 20, 2020
I am honoured to have been elected President of the Canadian Quarter Horse Association at our recent CQHA Annual General Meeting and subsequent Board of Directors’ Meeting held in conjunction with the AQHA Educational Summit at the Saskatchewan Equine Expo in Saskatoon.
The COVID 19 situation in Canada makes this an extremely trying time for everyone. Special measures are and have been implemented to protect all of us; however, they are having massive impacts on events that had been planned. Many cancellations are taking place thus creating numerous gaps in all of our plans. The experience gained from being CQHA’s First Vice President and the Chair of the Marketing and Communications for many years did not prepare me for this context. CQHA however will be reaching out to support you. Watch for CQHA emails and the CQHA website for these programs.
The CQHA is the umbrella affiliate of the AQHA for all the Canadian provincial affiliates and serves to coordinate and promote Quarter Horse activities on a national basis. The CQHA Board of Directors are all volunteers and hail from across this vast country. They are contributing their skills and time to the further CQHA’s agenda to build a robust and sustainable association delivering programs to meet the needs of our membership. They are, and will continue to contribute new and innovative ideas.
Our top priorities are concentrated on a number of key areas that translate into CQHA’s present efforts and work by various CQHA committees. These include:
- Developing a sustainable association bringing value to all of its members.
- Promotion and welfare of the American Quarter Horse.
- Providing beneficial services for its members, which enhance and encourage American Quarter Horse ownership and participation (membership) with the AQHA and the CQHA.
- Inform horse owners and the public regarding the benefits of registering eligible American Quarter Horses with the AQHA.
- Address the concerns of American Quarter Horse owners in Canada and communicate such concerns to the AQHA.
- Promote, both internationally and within Canada, Canadian-bred and/or Canadian-owned American Quarter Horses.
- CQHA’s continued and active participation with Equestrian Canada – ( currently the CQHA President and First Vice President sit on Board of Directors on the Category C - National Equine Affiliate Organizations committee, which permits participation and a voice in the affairs of Canada’s only national equine body recognized by the federal government, to deal with issues and legislation affecting horse ownership.)
The CQHA is always interested in hearing about issues that concern Quarter Horse people everywhere; any feedback you wish to share would be welcome. Let us know if there is anything we can add or do, to the website to make it better.
Visit the CQHA website for all of the value-added programs that CQHA brings to its members. Remember CQHA membership is free on the CQHA website.
Enjoy your Quarter Horses!
Dr. Gilles Seguin