October 17, 2016 - My name is David Brent - Chair Category C membership with Equestrian Canada (EC).
As you may or may not be aware, EC passed new By-laws in 2015 under the Canadian Not-For-Profit Corporation Act. One of the major changes to EC's governance structure was the establishment of a new voting membership structure comprised of three membership categories:
• Category A - Equestrian Sports,
• Category B - Provincial/Territorial Sport Organizations, and
• Category C - National Equine Affiliate Organizations (NEOs).
Each Category has nine voting members designated to represent the Category's interests to EC. The nine voting members in Category C are: myself (David Brent), Barbara Blackwell, Gary Gushuliak, Jill Barton, Muriel Burnley, Sue Ockendon, Terry Johnson, Tina Collins and Wayne Burwash (President of CQHA).
The mandate of the Category C voting members is:
• attend the EC Annual General Meeting,
• vote at extraordinary meetings of the EC Members,
• vote on issues presented at the Annual General Meeting of EC,
• vote for EC Directors,
• vote on changes to the Articles or By-Laws of EC,
• designate representatives to serve on EC Nominating Committee,
• represent NEOs to the EC Board and management, providing input with respect to recommendations on EC's strategic direction and priorities,
o establish a Nominations Committee for the sole purpose of electing the nine CategoryC (NEO) members as outlined in these terms of reference,and
o other rights and responsibilities of EC Members as set out in the EC By-Laws.
As your Category C representatives at EC we would like to take this opportunity to reach out to all of you and invite you to connect with us to share ideas, suggestions and/or challenges so we may work effectively with EC for the best of the entire horse industry.